Frequently Asked Questions

The R.O.D. Office is a place where all transactions having to do with land, including deeds, liens, and mortgages are recorded and maintained so that the public is made aware of their existence. This is also the place where financing statements and security agreements are filed on personal property and the Uniform Commercial Code (U.C.C.).

There are several steps taken when an original document is brought or mailed in to be recorded before it is returned to the concerned party. First, the document is evaluated for obvious errors and recordability and the correct fee is ascertained. Then a book and page number are assigned to each page. Once the document has been copied, imaged, and indexed it is returned.

Yes. A deed should be recorded as promptly as possible after the transaction. Failure to record a deed could render the transfer or mortgaging of the property impossible and create numerous legal difficulties.

If your deed is misplaced or lost, a copy may be obtained from the R.O.D. Office and certified with its official stamp.

Most documents are completed and returned within 2-4 business days unless problems occur during processing.

Yes, you could, but the R.O.D. Office always recommends the retention of an attorney, licensed abstractor of a land title company. We are a recording agency and cannot make out deeds or answer those questions which pertain to legal matters.

No. The property must be in Ness County

No. Professional title examiners or abstractors use the records in our office, along with their own records and records of other offices to determine if the title is good and clear.

Yes. Normally the mortgage follows the recording of the deed. If not, then we would go to our tract index for that piece of property and find the mortgage that way. The index will give you the book and page and recording information of your mortgage.

Uniform Commercial Code, more commonly known as UCC, became effective in Kansas in 1966. As the name implies, a code developed for uniform filing on all personal property. The filing of UCC financing statements is what perfects or secures the loan on consumer goods or personal property.

Besides deeds, mortgages, and liens, we have land patent books, old county Atlas books, oil and gas leases, plats of additions to the towns and subdivisions in Ness County, county school’s records and teacher records, along with honorable military discharges from the armed services, and powers of attorney. *Not all records in the ROD office are open to the public.

The earliest records found in our office date back late 1800’s. Among the early records are the patent deeds recorded when land was bought by the U.S. Government and are signed by some of our early presidents.

If they owned land in Ness County, probably.

The ROD Office is administered by a duly elected official called the Register of Deeds, who in turn, has a Deputy Register of Deeds that perform various duties within the office.

When an individual dies and is listed as an owner of record, a certified copy of the death certificate should be filed. We must have one of the original certified copies from the State that has issued the certificate.

Yes, there is no charge to our veterans to record any military papers. We recommend recording the DD-214 for safe keeping. *These records are not open for public inspection.

The only form we have available is the Kansas Sales Validation Questionnaire.

Search for a question or keyword  >