Register of Deeds
Military Discharge Records

Military Discharge Records (DD214)

The Ness County Register of Deeds would like to remind the public that Veterans can record their Military Discharge or DD214 form for FREE.

Why should I file my DD214 with the Register of Deeds Office?
We encourage you to file your DD214 because this document is essential in proving your veteran status. Having a discharge recorded will enable Veterans to receive certified copies to present to the Veterans Administration when applying for benefits or as proof of military services when applying for a job. Certified copies are as good as the original and once filed, will always be available in the event that the original is lost or destroyed.

How do I file my DD214?

Bring the original Member-4 document to our office. You will receive your filed original document and five certified copies.

Can anyone access my DD214 once I file it in your office?
No, but with a completed DD214 Form Request the records can only be released to: service member, service member’s immediate blood relative OR married spouse, married spouse OR un-remarried widow/widower, children, siblings, parents, grandparents, other lineal descendent, licensed funeral director.

Pursuant to K.S.A. 2014 Supp. 45-221(a)(46) regarding the Kansas Open Records Act, Military Discharge (DD214) Records are exempt from being open to the public. Access to said records is restricted to the dischargee, his/her descendants or agents.

How do I get a copy of my DD214?
Complete and sign a DD214 Form Request and mail it to our office with a legible copy of your driver’s license. The completed form must be sent to us via mail. We cannot accept request forms via fax or e-mail. You may come to the office in person and fill out a request form and we will retrieve and certify five copies for you.

Feel free call our office for more information at (785)798-3127

KSA 73-210 requires the Register if Deeds to only file original or certified copies of Military Discharges. If you have lost your original DD214, you can request a duplicate from the National Personnel Records Center.

Thank you to our veterans for your service!

Search for a question or keyword  >